Friday, June 1, 2012

What gives?

So a couple weeks ago I posted a picture that was anti "don't ask, don't tell" which showed a photo of two men kissing.  One man was in uniform. I knew I would get likes and positive comments from many friends, and assumed my anti-gay friends would just ignore it and whisper behind my back as usual. What somewhat shocked me, although it shouldn't have in retrospect, was a "friend" who posted one comment than un-friended me.  The comment was "disgraceful."

Now I need to mention beyond Facebook monikers this man was more acquaintance than friend.  The closest thing to friendship was when he helped me change a tire.  While I am glad he helped his motives were more in wanting me to put in a good word for him with his ex than christian charity.  Still it shocked me a little, then pissed me off.  After all, what gives?

Ok I get he is against gay marriage, against gays in the military, just anti gay, homophobic redneck, I get that.  He has two kids and I guess in true Mississsippi fashion, he is afraid if they see two men kissing they will catch the gay germ.  Wait nevermind it's a choice, so his daughters would think "damn kissing some one of the same sex looks cool.  Think I'll try it."

Maybe it was just disgust.  Why because growing up in the south most of us are taught it's disgusting.  We don't know why, we just had it beat into us. So a mixture of fear and disgust, and religious righteousness made it unacceptable to be friends with someone who would post a picture of dudes playing tonsil hockey.

Still what really, really gets me is why he waited so long.  This isn't the first controversial picture I have posted.  During the Iranian protests, I posted pictures of a woman lying dead after she was killed by police.  During the Syrian revolution I posted pictures of dead people, very graphic bloody pictures.  I have posted pictures of nearly nude women, and men.  I have posted videos with nudity, bth male and female full frontal nudity to boot. All this as well as profanity, blasphemy, and even anti American sentiment, but it was two men kissing that broke his proverbial camels back.  Really?

All I can say is that apparently you had rather your kids see pictures of bloody dead bodies than men kissing men.  You can deal with profanity, even nudity, but not the fact that some men, love other men.  That some women prefer the company of other women in bed.  Do you realize how fucked up this makes you?  That murder and gore is better than love?  I feel sorry for your daughters, and I feel sorry for the world that you are carrying on a legacy of fear and stupidity

1 comment:

  1. It's willful ignorance, nothing else. I grew up in Northern Ireland where it was bred into me to hate protestants; yet, I don't. I made my own decisions and sculpted my own views, based on the fact that people are people, and will stand or fall on their own merits.

    I will no longer excuse the behaviour of these types of people. They are not morally corrupt, they are morally lazy - which to me, is even worse.

    ReplyDelete